Jeff Weedman serves as CEO of Cintrifuse, a newly formed not-for-profit aimed at fostering innovation growth by supporting high growth-potential startup companies. Cintrifuse, launched in Summer 2012 and based in Cincinnati, aims to provide startups with a web of support including access to innovation-business incubators, a major early stage investment fund of funds and regional assets.
Cintrifuse was formed by Cincinnati's top business leaders with the goal of making the country's "middle-coast" corridor a magnet for startup companies, driving economic growth and innovation success. Jeff leads the new company, as an Executive on Loan from Procter & Gamble, the world's largest consumer packagedgoods company.
At P&G, Jeff served as Vice President of Global Business Development, responsible for delivering external innovation partnerships across P&G and around the world - partnerships that delivered billions of dollars toward P&G's annual sales growth. Jeff's team managed acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, equity investments, technology/trademark/know-how licensing, outsourcing and P&G's global Open Innovation efforts (Connect + Develop).
An industry pioneer in the area of Open Innovation, Jeff was tapped by P&G leadership more than 16 years ago to test the idea of making P&G's internal assets available externally and leveraging external partnerships as a core part of how P&G innovates. P&G then turned the Open Innovation "experiment" into a way of operating across the Company, declaring that as external partnerships could help drive innovation, 50% of P&G's innovations should contain a key element of external collaboration.
Over the years, the Connect + Develop program delivered a series of P&G game-changers: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Swiffer Dusters, Olay Regenerist, Tide Total Care, Oral-B Pulsonic toothbrush, to name just a few. Ongoing work to share P&G technology externally also delivered market game-changers: Glad Press'n Seal and Glad Forceflex. Today, P&G's Connect + Develop (C+D) program is seen as a benchmark in open innovation and in building win:win collaborative partnerships.
Jeff has also led development of new capabilities to ensure an on-going stream of collaborations. This includres the first-ever comprehensive agreements with the public university systems of Ohio and Michigan to streamline how academia and business work together to drive breakthrough innovations. His team also forged similar agreements in China, India, Singapore, and Israel with government reasearh institutes, academic entities and entrepreneurs to ensure win-win partnerships with P&G. Jeff also served as a government relations liaison for P&G, regularly meeting with government officials from Ohio, the US and around the world.
Jeff joined P&G after earning his AB from Albion College (1975) and MBA from the University of Michigan (1977). He served in Marketing roles on several P&G brands, including Duncan Hines, Crisco, Hires Root Beer/Crush, Dawn, Cascade, Folgers and many more. He then led strategic planning for the global laundry business and was a key contributor to a project redesigning P&G's go-to-market/sales organization in North America. Next, he served as General Manager of P&G's Institutional Business and a VP General Manager of P&G Canada before being named in 1996 to serve as Vice President of Global Licensing, which has grown into Global Business Development.
Jeff is a member of the Licensing Executive Society (LES), and is a Certified Licensing Professional. He has been specially recognized by LES as a Leader in Licensing, receiving the organization's 2007 Outstanding Achievement Award. Under Jeff’s leadership, P&G received The Economist Magazine’s first Corporate Award for Innovation Leadership and the Wharton Award for 25 Most Innovative Companies
Jeff is regularly sought out for expert interviews, benchmarking and external speaking engagements. He has been featured live on Bloomberg TV in the US, BBC4 radio in the UK, Business NEWS in Singapore and Sky Business News, Australia’s leading business TV channel. Publications such as Dealmaker and IP Law have featured Jeff in cover page articles. Further, he is widely quoted as a global expert on Open Innovation and business structuring/deal-making in print and broadcast media, including the Financial Times, Fast Company, Harvard Business Review, The New York Times, BBC, Associated Press, Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, and media around the world. He also is widely quoted in a number of books on open innovation and business development, such as Edison in the Boardroom and Open Innovation. Finally, he has served a judge for prestigious events, such as The Economist’s Global Innovation Awards held annually in London.
Jeff is an active member of several local, regional and national organizations, supporting his belief that “we’re all in this together” and thus we all have the responsibility and opportunity to improve the lives of the world’s consumers.
Boards, Affiliations, Awards, Civic Involvement include the following:
- Glad Joint Venture (P&G’s partnership with The Clorox Company)
- Swiss Precision Diagnostics (Switzerland based 50/50 joint venture with Alere)
- Agile Pursuits Franchising Inc. (P&G’s franchising subsidiary)
- Green Earth Cleaning, LLC (Missouri based dry cleaning company)
- European Industrial Research Management Association (association of R&D leaders in Europe)
- yet2.com (Boston-based Intellectual Property firm) Board Member
- Member of Licensing Executive Society (LES)
- Certified Licensing Professional
- Judge for The Annual Economist’s Global Innovation Awards in London
- Jeff has been specially recognized by LES as a “Leader in Licensing”, and received the award for outstanding achievement on behalf of P&G in 2007.
- Under Jeff’s leadership, P&G received The Economist Magazine’s first Corporate Award for Innovation Leadership and the Wharton Award for 25 Most Innovative Companies.
- The University of Michigan’s School of Business and Samuel Zell & Robert H. Lurie Institute for Entrepreneurial Studies – Advisory Board
- Northern Kentucky University: Research Foundation, Past Member;
- Albion College, Albion, Michigan
- Gerstacker Institute – Advisory Board
- CincyTech: Advisor (local venture capital fund and business incubator)
- Stepping Stones Center for developmentally disabled – Board of Directors – Vice President
- Medical Center Fund of Cincinnati Board
- Various Church, local charity and school activities
- Junior Mens Inline Hockey World Team USA: Manager
Jeff received his A.B. (economics/history) from Albion College and an M.B.A. from the University of Michigan with a concentration in marketing and finance.